Fees are updated every year, and Meteorology students pay lab-based fees. Fees for UK and European Union students are £4,195 per year (2017/18 academic year). Fees for students from outside the European Union are £18,860 per year (2017/18 academic year).

Research Council Studentships

We receive funding for a number of PhD studentships, which provide support for 3-4 years. Many of these studentships are from the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC); we apply for these studentships on your behalf. An important source of the funding is the SCENARIO NERC Doctoral Training Partnership, which is led by the Department of Meteorology. Meteorology students funded by UK Research Councils are automatically included as a member of the SCENARIO cohort (whether or not your studentship is DTP-funded). There are over 20 students per year in the cohort. Council- and SCENARIO-funded studentships are allocated on a competitive basis, with new projects typically advertised in November for selection in February each year. Only students with first or upper second class honours degrees, or at least a merit in a masters course, will normally be considered for grants. These studentships are only available UK and non-UK European Union students who have resided in the UK for 3 years of more.

Fee and maintenance awards (UK and other European Union citizens resident in the UK)

NERC Studentships, which cover both fees and a maintenance grant of £14,553/year (2017/2018 level), tax free, are open to all UK and other European Union students who have lived in the UK for the past three years. Other students may also be eligible if they have an established relevant connection with the UK. A relevant connection constitutes being resident in the UK for the past three years, not for the sole purpose of education, and not being subject to any restriction on the period for which he/she may stay in the UK. Note that these are guidelines: the University decides cases on an individual basis.

Fee-only awards (EU)

For European Union students who have not lived in the UK for the past three years, we can use our NERC-studentship funding to pay the fees, but not living costs. To apply for this funding you need to include a separate request (200 words maximum) with your application explaining why you would require this funding. This funding is awarded on a competitive basis and, is taken from the same budget that pays maintenance awards to UK students, limiting the number of fee-only awards that can be allocated each year. If you receive a fee-only award, the University requires a guarantee that you are able to obtain funds to cover living costs, e.g. from another funding body or private funding.

Other sources of funding

Students living near Reading

The University of Reading Regional PhD Bursaries provide funding which will cover full- or part-time fees for home students who live within 25 miles of the University. Bursaries are awarded on a competitive basis. The deadline for applications for the Bursary for 2015 is likely to be May 2015, but those who apply must have already been offered a PhD place by the Department.

European Union students

Some of our projects are funded from sources that allow us to pay both fees and living costs to students from anywhere within the European Union. If this is the case, this will be indicated for the specific project on project web page.

International students (from outside the European Union)

International students are usually funded by their own government, by bodies such as the World Meteorological Organization, or by private finance. A very small number of scholarships are also available to students from developing countries that we bid for on a competitive basis. See our information for international students and an alternative guide to postgraduate funding. Graduate school also maintains a list of funding opportunities. Information on fees can be found here. Information on typical living costs can be found here. For students outside the UK, the University of Reading also has a Partnership Doctorate programme, where you would work mostly in your home country but receive supervision and support from Reading.

Private funding

For private funding, the University requires guarantees that funds are available to cover both fees and maintenance. Information on fees can be found here. Information on typical living costs can be found here. In general, the responsibility for finding suitable funding lies with the student. Unlike in the United States, this University has no teaching assistant or scholarship scheme.

Page navigation